Antivirus real-time scanning has been reported to cause issues in both the installation and functioning of Kofax Capture. Notable issues include:
- Installation of Kofax Capture fails at various stages.
- Corruption of Kofax Capture files which result in subtle error messages or failures of processing without error messages.
- Negative performance impact at all stages of batch processing.
While it is generally a good idea to disable antivirus during software installation, the latter two issues can be difficult to troubleshoot. If real-time scanning corrupts any of the Kofax Capture installation files, the only recourse is to perform a repair install, and often determining a corrupt installation involves time consuming troubleshooting with Process Monitor or Wireshark.
Performance issues may also arise that do not actively break anything, but significantly impair productivity. This is due to the real-time scan actively scanning any temporary files that are modified during batch processing as well as the potentially large image files that are transferred between workstations and servers.
Because of these potential issues, DoxTek strongly recommends adding the following folders and file types to the antivirus exclusion list:
- TIFF files (*.tif and *.tiff)
- The Kofax Capture installation folder. For 64-bit operating systems this folder is C:\Program Files (x86)\Kofax, and for 32-bit operating systems it is C:\Program Files\Kofax.
- The local Kofax Capture application data folder. For 64-bit operating systems it is C:\ProgramData\Kofax, and for 32-bit operating systems it is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kofax.